undeprecate request

NightStrike
Can you undeprecate Java?

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Java.html

I know the support isn't perfect, but it is useful when you have a
large project that incorporates both Java and other languages, and you
want to keep yourself in the make world instead of having to have both
make and ant (or whatever) in the same project.

Re: undeprecate request

Václav Zeman
On 18.8.2016 21:12, NightStrike wrote:
> Can you undeprecate Java?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Java.html
>
> I know the support isn't perfect, but it is useful when you have a
> large project that incorporates both Java and other languages, and you
> want to keep yourself in the make world instead of having to have both
> make and ant (or whatever) in the same project.

Does it honestly make sense to integrate Java support into Automake in
the day and age of Maven and similar better tools?

--
VH

Re: undeprecate request

Wookey
On 2016-08-19 07:15 +0200, Václav Haisman wrote:

> On 18.8.2016 21:12, NightStrike wrote:
> > Can you undeprecate Java?
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Java.html
> >
> > I know the support isn't perfect, but it is useful when you have a
> > large project that incorporates both Java and other languages, and you
> > want to keep yourself in the make world instead of having to have both
> > make and ant (or whatever) in the same project.
> >

> Does it honestly make sense to integrate Java support into Automake in
> the day and age of Maven and similar better tools?
Maven is not a 'better tool' than make. It's deeply unhelpful 'web
age' craziness that is handy for developers, but antithical to
security, consistency and repeatable builds (the sort of things that
distro builders worry about, for good reasons). Maven makes ant look
good. Building with 'whatever crap I got off the internet today' is
not a good way to go IHMO, and so far as I can tell, that's exactly
what maven does, at least by default.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Linaro, Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/

Re: undeprecate request

NightStrike
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Václav Haisman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18.8.2016 21:12, NightStrike wrote:
>> Can you undeprecate Java?
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Java.html
>>
>> I know the support isn't perfect, but it is useful when you have a
>> large project that incorporates both Java and other languages, and you
>> want to keep yourself in the make world instead of having to have both
>> make and ant (or whatever) in the same project.
>>

> Does it honestly make sense to integrate Java support into Automake in
> the day and age of Maven and similar better tools?

Given my aforementioned use case, yes.  Automake does a good enough
job that I can easily integrate some java components in an overall
project that uses several different languages.  I wouldn't want to
lose that support.