extra files for distribution

Andy Falanga (afalanga)
Hi,

My project has some doc files which are currently generated by the
parsing engine of Visual Studio.  Our plan is to simply generate them,
periodically, and include them with our Linux build via autotools.  I'm
not sure of how to include them though.  EXTRA_DIST isn't the answer
because they are things which are *not* to be installed.  These files
aren't necessary for the build which means I don't need them in the
directives/primaries.  What is the Makefile.am magic I'm looking for
which will include these extras in the installation but not include them
in the build?

Andy

Re: extra files for distribution

Gavin Smith
On 22 September 2015 at 18:12, Andy Falanga (afalanga)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My project has some doc files which are currently generated by the
> parsing engine of Visual Studio.  Our plan is to simply generate them,
> periodically, and include them with our Linux build via autotools.  I'm
> not sure of how to include them though.  EXTRA_DIST isn't the answer
> because they are things which are *not* to be installed.  These files
> aren't necessary for the build which means I don't need them in the
> directives/primaries.  What is the Makefile.am magic I'm looking for
> which will include these extras in the installation but not include them
> in the build?

I don't understand what you mean: you say they are things that "are
*not* to be installed", but then you say you want to include them "in
the installation".

As far as I can tell EXTRA_DIST doesn't cause installation anywhere.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My project has some doc files which are currently generated by the
> parsing engine of Visual Studio.  Our plan is to simply generate them,
> periodically, and include them with our Linux build via autotools.  I'm
> not sure of how to include them though.  EXTRA_DIST isn't the answer
> because they are things which are *not* to be installed.  These files
> aren't necessary for the build which means I don't need them in the
> directives/primaries.  What is the Makefile.am magic I'm looking for
> which will include these extras in the installation but not include them
> in the build?

I previously wrote out a reply and then deleted it when I read your
email again. But maybe it was what you wanted. I was going to suggest
using a variable based on the DATA "primary", in Automake's
terminology. E.g. dist_foo_DATA = file.doc to install foo.doc in
${foodir}.

Re: extra files for distribution

Gavin Smith
On 23 September 2015 at 00:14, Andy Falanga (afalanga)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I previously wrote out a reply and then deleted it when I read your
>> email again. But maybe it was what you wanted. I was going to suggest
>> using a variable based on the DATA "primary", in Automake's
>> terminology. E.g. dist_foo_DATA = file.doc to install foo.doc in
>> ${foodir}.
>
> This does look promising but from this link,
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Uniform.html, it
> would seem that I've got to name a directory off of
> $(datadir)/[something] in order to make this work.  Unless I can force
> this datadir to be the same as $(libdir) then this will not work.  These
> xml files are parsed (I'm not sure how) by the python runtime.

It would naturally be dist_lib_DATA but if that doesn't work there is
a workaround in the Automake manual somewhere.