Control of .deps folder generation location.

Control of .deps folder generation location.

Bent Bisballe Nyeng
Hi list

Sorry for cross-posting. I originally posted this to the autoconf list,
but after further investigation I have reached the conclusion that my
question is in fact more related to automake.

I have a project in which I include a few out-of-tree cpp files in one
of my SOURCES directives.

I am currently trying to use the new subdir-objects argument but am
having the problem that autoconf tries to write a .deps folder to the
folder containing the out-of-tree files which is located in a system
folder and therefore not writable to the user.

Is it possible to somehow force autoconf to write this .deps folder in a
location inside the project tree?
Or can I perhaps resolve my issue in another way?
(I would really like avoid having to copy the out-of-tree cpp files to
an in-tree folder before compilation)

Kind regards
Bent Bisballe Nyeng

Re: Control of .deps folder generation location.

Thomas Martitz
Am 07.09.2016 um 10:02 schrieb Bent Bisballe Nyeng:

> Hi list
>
> Sorry for cross-posting. I originally posted this to the autoconf
> list, but after further investigation I have reached the conclusion
> that my question is in fact more related to automake.
>
> I have a project in which I include a few out-of-tree cpp files in one
> of my SOURCES directives.
>
> I am currently trying to use the new subdir-objects argument but am
> having the problem that autoconf tries to write a .deps folder to the
> folder containing the out-of-tree files which is located in a system
> folder and therefore not writable to the user.
>
> Is it possible to somehow force autoconf to write this .deps folder in
> a location inside the project tree?
> Or can I perhaps resolve my issue in another way?
> (I would really like avoid having to copy the out-of-tree cpp files to
> an in-tree folder before compilation)

Hello,

This is has been changed in the git tree, but there is no release with
the change yet. I suggest to try it and report back if it solves your
problem (use the minor branch).

git clone -b minor git://git.savannah.gnu.org/automake.git
cd automake
./bootstrap.sh
./configure --prefix=/your/favorite/directory
make

Best regards.